Welcome to our workshop!
Here is how one might begin a rod-building project…
- Schedule a visit via message or chat on social media. We’ll be up front with you about the costs and the differences between a custom rod and one made by a manufacturer.
- Once you’re here we can draw up the ideal rod for your target species and your fishing style, and we’ll select the desired components- the rod blank, reel seat, guides, and handle material.
- With a clear vision of what we’re building towards and 50% payment down, we can start the process. Plan on as many visit that will complete 5 hours of steady work time.
- We’ll start in the Wood Room where we prepare the reel seat for assembly and the cork rings to fit on your rod blank. Then these will be glued and set into a vise.
- While waiting for adhesive to dry in the handle assembly we can start practicing on the thread work. Back again to the handle now that the adhesive has cured, we can take the rod to the lathe for shaping.
- Back to the thread-work to fix the guides onto the rod. Thread wraps can be as simple or as complex as you desire. We will teach you everything you need to know.
- The finishing touches of clear coat will be done by our practiced hands. We will celebrate the defining moment with a complimentary protective rod sock.
We look forward to sharing our vision of a small custom rod shop in the shadows of the big city. We hope to see you soon.
Need more info?
Here’s a different look at our Basic Rod Building Course.
The cost of the course is A, the total of the components you choose for the rod; plus B, the course fee of $100.00 US Dollars (Exchange in CLP upon starting).
Price range for components (A) is approximately $250.00 US to $550.00 US
A) The components are as follows:
- Rod blank
- Reel seat
- Cork handle
- Guides, top, and hook keep
B) The course fee covers the following:
- Personal instruction and final clear coats over thread
- Use of machinery, tools, safety equipment
- Materials used (thread, glue, epoxy, tape, and other)
- Protective cloth rod sock for the finished product
Fly Rod Blanks Available
- R.L.Winston, Boron III X (5 wt. – 8 wt.)
- R.L. Winston, Boron III LS (3 wt. & 4 wt.)
- Seele, Zeitlos Glass, fiberglass (3 wt. – 6 wt.)
- Temple Fork Outfitters, BVK Series (6 wt. – 8 wt., and 10 wt.)
- Temple Fork Outfitters, Finesse Series (1 wt. – 5 wt.)
- Andes, Mountain Series- graphite (3 wt. – 10 wt.)
- Andes, Del Sol, fiberglass (3 wt. – 4 wt.)
Spinning Rod Blanks Available
- Andes, Trout Series- graphite, Light Spinning Rods from 6’6”, 4-8 lb. line (various colors)
- Andes, Bass & Salmon Series- graphite, Medium to Heavy Rods to 7′, 8-20 lb. line (various colors)